• 60ml olive oil
• 2 small onion, diced
• 2 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 stick celery, diced
• 200g barley grains
• 100g mixed grains of similar cooking time-puy lentils, spelt, Camargue rice, buckwheat
• 800ml vegetable stock
• 100g mascarpone cheese
• 80g parmesan cheese, grated
• 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
• 1 bunch asparagus, blanched
• 200g garden peas, blanched
• Salt, pepper & lemon juice to taste
• 50g parmesan cheese, grated
• 50g pea shoots
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Lemon wedges
In a medium sized saucepan, sweat the onion, garlic and celery gently in olive oil for 5-10 minutes or until soft & sweet.
Stir in mixed grains and add the vegetable stock. The grains should be covered by a couple of centimetres of liquid. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 20-30 minutes or until cooked and tender. Top up the cooking liquid after 10-15 minutes if necessary.
Stir through the mascarpone & parmesan cheese, parsley, sliced asparagus, peas and season with salt, freshly ground pepper & lemon juice to taste.
Top with parmesan & pea shoots, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately with a lemon wedge.
Chef Neil Armstrong's tip
"The grains should swell and absorb almost all of the stock during cooking."