1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Put dates in the bowl with the ultrablade knife. Mix at speed 12 for 40 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Remove the ultrablade knife. Add the boiling water and baking soda. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Place the kneading/crushing blade in the bowl and add butter and salt. Mix at speed 9 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix at speed 6 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour and baking powder and mix at speed 6 for 20 seconds.
5. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until top is firm. Remove sides of the pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream and caramel sauce.