Posted: October 03, 2022
This silky spread with spicy aromas and fresh apple flavors is the perfect condiment to start the day on a piece of toast and a cup of coffee on a crisp Autumn morning.
|PREP TIME||10 MIN|
|COOK TIME||60 MIN|
- 4 pounds of McIntosh apples (about 8 large apples)
- zest of 1 lemon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Peel and core 4 pounds of apples. Discard the apple cores and reserve the peels.
- Once the apples are cored, slice them into quarters and then dice them into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, zest, and cubed apples and toss them together.
- In an All-Clad Copper Core 3 Quart Sauce Pan, add the apple cubes, apple peels, vinegar, salt, and water. Set the pan over medium heat. Place the lid over the sauce pan while leaving a small opening for the pot to vent. Bring to a simmer and stir occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, the apples will be extremely tender and most of the liquid will have evaporated. Turn off the heat.
- Remove and discard the peels from the sauce pan. Use an All-Clad Immersion Blender and blend the mixture until smooth.
- Place the pan back over medium heat. Add the sugar, spices, and vanilla and bring to a simmer. Bring the heat to medium-low heat to keep the mixture at a simmer. Stir occasionally for another 30 minutes or so until the sauce has thickened and turned into a rich dark caramel brown.
- Cool at room temperature. Store for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. You can store the Apple Butter in one large jar or several small jars to gift and share!
There is a lot of flavor in the apple peels. Even though we will discard them at the end, place the peels in the pot to cook with the apples to develop that deep apple flavor in your final product. This will intensify and concentrate the apple flavor for this spread.
To learn more about this chef, please visit their website at name of link
Connect with them on social name of link